Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sometimes it is just about learning


I am posting this painting to illustrate an often overlooked point: learning is a process.

When I studied art, I learned all about the great paintings of this or that artist, but we never had a class on the process paintings that led to greatness. In fact, I have never heard of such a thing being taught in any discipline.

It should be.

Yes, crit groups get you there. Sort of. But how did any of the great artists learn their techniques? Where are the iterative paintings, sculptures or other manifestations of their processes?

Some museums have started to show examples of this, but I would like to see more. I think the learning processes they illustrate are as valuable as the masterpieces.

This is one of mine.

All comments and criticisms welcomed.

20100130.png

No comments: